About Leading Waco Women
Leading Waco Women was created to celebrate, empower and develop women leaders in the Waco community with professional development opportunities through half-day conferences, keynote speakers, panel discussions and networking. The Greater Waco Chamber kicked off the Leading Waco Women Summit Series in November 2018 with the presentation of the inaugural ATHENA Leadership award. Leading Waco Women is a three-part series focused on the three components of leadership: serving, empowering and mentoring.
About the ATHENA Leadership Award
The ATHENA Leadership award is presented to leaders across professional sectors. Its rich history, international scope and mentorship distinguish it as one of the most prestigious leadership awards one can receive. The ATHENA Leadership award celebrates women who achieve excellence in their professions, serve the community in a meaningful way, and help other women reach their full potential. The ATHENA Leadership award celebrates exemplary leadership and is reflective of a quote by Plato: "What is honored in a country will be cultivated there." Over 7,000 Recipients have been honored with the ATHENA Leadership award since the program’s inception in 1982. Each summer the Waco Chamber will accept nominations from the community and present the ATHENA Leadership award each year at the Leading Waco Women Serving Summit held in November. For more information about the nomination process, please see below.
Nomination Information | Deadline for submission: Friday, August 30, 2019
Each summer, nominations will open for potential candidates. After the Waco Chamber has received the nominations, an independent selection committee comprised of community leaders will select an individual to receive the ATHENA Leadership award at the Leading Waco Women Serving Summit. The selection committee scores solely on the information provided by the nominator. The top four nominees will be announced as our finalists, but the ATHENA Leadership award recipient will not be announced until the Serving Summit in November.
ATHENA Leadership award nominees must meet each of the following three criteria:
- Demonstrate excellence, creativity and initiative in their business or profession
- Provide valuable service to improve the quality of life for others in their community
- Actively assist women in achieving their full leadership potential
- ATHENA Leadership award Nominees may represent either the profit or not-for-profit sector.
- Previous ATHENA Leadership award Recipients are not eligible for nomination, however, past nominees may be nominated again.
- There is no minimum or maximum age qualification that must be met by ATHENA Leadership award Nominees.