The Greater Waco area’s success is due in part to its central location and easy access along the Interstate 35 corridor between Dallas and Austin. This great location attracts new businesses and the expansion of existing companies. Greater Waco is in the heart of one of the nation’s 11 mega-regions known as the Texas Triangle.
Quick Facts about Waco’s Transportation:
- Interstate/Highways: Interstate Highway 35; Texas State Highway 6; U.S. Highway 84; and U.S. Highway 77.
- Dallas and Austin are within 90 miles (1.5 hour drive time) of Waco
- Houston and San Antonio are within 185 miles (3 hour drive time) of Waco
- There are four international and seven regional airports within 200 miles
- Three local airports, which include the Waco Regional Airport, Texas State Technical College Industrial Airport and McGregor Executive Airport
- Four international airports nearby include Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, George Bush Intercontinental Airport and San Antonio International Airport
- Three rail systems, which include Burlington Northern/Santa Fe (Class I main line), Union Pacific (Class I main line) and Amtrak
- Eight seaports are within 280 miles and two inland ports are within 90 miles
- Robust air and ground freight access to international, national and state carriers, including UPS, FedEx and Lone Star Overnight
Waco Transit provides safe and reliable public transportation to the citizens of Waco and the surrounding communities. Services include a fixed route bus service within the city of Waco, the Baylor University Shuttle (BUS) and a Para Transit van service for individuals with special transportation needs.
For more information, visit Waco-Texas.com/transit/.
Waco Streak provides transportation to and from Dallas airports seven days a week. For more information, visit: Waco-Streak.com/
The Greater Waco Chamber has several rental car companies in its membership. See the Automobile Renting category in the Business Directory for a complete list.
Given Greater Waco’s location within the state of Texas, fiber connectivity is abundant for companies needing large production capacity and communication capabilities. Service providers include AT&T, Grande Communications and Time Warner-Cable Business.
Texas is a deregulated electricity market, providing companies the power to choose (PowertoChoose.com, SaveOnEnergy.com or ChooseEnergy.com/Texas). Retail Electric Providers offer contracts that are available on fixed or indexed based rates. Index products are based on the market clearing price or natural gas cost with an adder. Transportation and delivery charges are passed through from the regulated electric delivery company, Oncor (or Heart of Texas Electric Cooperative). Companies can work with aggregators, wholesale providers and retail electric providers to secure creative, competitive products. Contract prices will vary based on power factor and hours of peak consumption.
Waco-based, Texas Energy Aggregation assists economic development clients by providing competitive proposals based on peak demand, average demand, usage and power factor. Visit TexasEnergyAggregation.com for more information.
Delivery Service Providers:
Oncor Electric Delivery
Residential (800) 242-9113
Business (800) 368-1728
Heart of Texas Electric Cooperative Inc.
Atmos Energy supplies transportation and delivery of natural gas. Natural gas commodity is purchased through retail providers and pricing is based on market exchanges such as NYMEX, Houston Ship Channel or Henry Hub. Rates and additional information are detailed on customized reports. Atmos Energy can be contacted at (800) 621-1867.
Water and Waste Water:
The city of Waco is the service provider for water and waste water. Greater Waco is positioned in close proximity to Lake Waco and along the Brazos River with a constant source of water for quality of life and business. More detailed information can be found on customized reports.
Waco’s Solid Waste Services provides trash collection for residential and commercial customers. Wheeled containers hold 30, 65 or 90 gallons. The city also offers 35-gallon green carts for yard waste only. Blue carts collect paper for recycling. For more information, visit city of Waco or call (254) 299-2612.