Teen Leadership Waco
Teen Leadership Waco (TLW), with Presenting Sponsor Englander DzignPak, builds on the leadership skills of today’s youth to help develop them into future leaders throughout the Greater Waco community. Research shows that youth who begin volunteering and engaging in the community will continue this trend into adulthood.
Program objectives are as follows:
- To identify and recruit emerging leaders as participants
- To prepare and allow students to participate in the group process
- To inform students about community history, government, economic and social issues that are a part of the environment that makes our community function
- To encourage participants to undertake leadership roles to improve their own environment
The Selection Process:
In late summer/early fall, sophomores and juniors from any McLennan County high school can apply to Teen Leadership Waco (TLW). In 2017, 24 students have been selected from 11 area high schools. Students are selected by the TLW Advisory Committee, which has included lawyers, judges, non-profit employees, bankers, former teachers and business professionals. The committee selects students on a holistic approach, based on grades, community engagement, leadership roles and essays written by each student.
The Teen Leadership Waco program runs from February through December, with a graduation ceremony in January. The program consists of a program orientation and eight workshop days where students will be excused from school to visit and hear from various leaders in the community. Each program day has a particular theme, and all workshops run from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Applications for the 2018 Class are due by Friday, Nov. 17, 2017. Below are the links to the application. For more information about Teen Leadership Waco, please contact Rachel Martinez at (254) 757-5633.
- Teen Leadership Waco Program Application 2018 (PDF).
- Teen Leadership Waco Program Application 2018 (Word).
Thank You to Our Sponsors: