Thank you for your interest in joining the Greater Waco Chamber of Commerce’s professional team.
We currently have one opening for Manager of Entrepreneurship & Innovation. Click here to download the job description or review the listing below.
Title: Manager of Entrepreneurship & Innovation
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Economic Development
Nature of Work:
The position will serve as a partner within Greater Waco’s efforts to enhance and grow the local entrepreneurial ecosystem. In addition to being a team member of the economic development department where the Chamber recruits new businesses, facilitates expansion by existing firms, assists in the creation of new entities and creates and capitalizes on strategic development opportunities, this position will also work in direct partnership with Start Up Waco, a collaborative community partnership focused on helping early-stage, growth-oriented businesses expand, as well as to start new businesses in the Waco/McLennan County region.
The Manager of Entrepreneurship & Innovation will work with Start Up Waco to establish and coordinate initiatives for the creation and support of new and existing high technology, high growth businesses in the Greater Waco community. The Manager should have a broad knowledge of small business, technology transfer, university research, business incubators, financing, marketing and real estate. The Manager should also have a desire to assist new venture and early stage companies by addressing their growth needs. The Manager must demonstrate the ability to work as a member of a team, as well as, on their own in a self-starting capacity.
Examples of duties:
The following duties are not inclusive of all duties, and the incumbent performs other related duties as required:
- Regularly assess the assets in the community that support new companies.
- Coordinate with organizations in Greater Waco and beyond that assist entrepreneurs and small businesses.
- Maintain data related to tracking the growth in new start-ups and high-tech businesses
- Develop reports and materials to assist entrepreneurs with various resources available in Waco/McLennan County.
- Identify and/or collaborate with partners to increase access to local start-up funding.
- Cultivate relationships with venture capital companies and other financial institutions.
- Coordinate with representatives of local colleges regarding research and academic programs that can create spin-off companies.
- Create and manage networking programs for businesses, academia, government and potential entrepreneurs.
- Formalizing investment process in Greater Waco by developing close relationships with finance, investments, research, labor, real estate, intellectual property and training.
- Identify and coordinate available real estate listings that can be used for small high growth and technology businesses.
- Design and implement relevant programming and access to resources necessary to support the local entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Develop and implement a program to take advantage of existing business plan courses and competitions.
- Benchmark Greater Waco against other recognized entrepreneurial cities and make recommendations for improvements.
- Manage, engage and grow Chamber related programs, including but not limited to Waco Young Professionals, Waco Collegiate Forum, 1000 Friends of Waco, and Technology Business Briefings.
Knowledge and abilities required:
- Strong communication skills.
- Proficiency in public presentation, research and project management.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Experience in social media and web-based platforms.
Bachelor’s degree in business, economic development, public administration, entrepreneurship or related degree. Two or more years experience in a progressively responsible position focused on entrepreneurship or small business services.
A resume, cover letter detailing experience and achievements, and salary expectations should be forwarded to Kris Collins, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Waco Chamber, P.O. Box 1220, Waco, Texas 76703, attention Kris Collins, Sr. Vice President – Economic Development.
Greater Waco, located in McLennan County, Texas, along the Interstate 35 corridor is home to more than 14,000 companies, 241,505 people and a regional workforce of approximately 320,000. Greater Waco’s centralized location with access, to Dallas and Austin (90 miles) and Houston and San Antonio (185 miles), make it a regional center of economic activity and an ideal community for businesses and individuals.
Since 2006, Greater Waco has seen more than $1.3 billion in new capital investments and $596 million in riverfront and downtown development, making it an attractive place to live, work and play. Greater Waco is landscaped with top-rated higher educational institutions, including Baylor University, McLennan Community College and Texas State Technical College Waco.
The Greater Waco Chamber leads economic development efforts for the area focusing on talent development and targeting five key industries for growth: Advanced Manufacturing, Aerospace and Defense, Health Care, Professional and Financial Services and Supply Chain Management.